February 28, 2009

Dental Care

Repost: from the Poetry Castle

Now that school is back into full swing for this year's first term, so am I, as a renewed Guinea Pig.

I can't complain much because for one, it's FREE. Well, I deserve to receive FREEBIE and why not? Besides, I paid taxes before without enjoying medical indulgences; until last year for a couple of hospital visits which I was exonerated anyway.

Second, going to a private dentist is a real Rest in Peace and quite off putting. It's just my way of saying rip off.

Not so much with what I paid, but the service private dentists had given me was hell. They overcharged me even if the work done was almost like picking a nit on one piece of my hair strand. I said 'they' because I went to two private dentists. At least with the first dentist, she was gentle. Not so with the male dentist. He was too rough!

(I tried pulling one loose tooth with pliers at home, and there's no way it worked). That was real scary! One lady did that on her own. She was featured in a magazine to show how unsatisfactory was our dental system here. She had to do it because she had been on a waiting list for a long long time and she could not afford a private dentist. Lucky, she escaped getting infected.

Third, I went to another private dentist and the quote she gave me was half of Ten thousand dollars! The consultation alone, just to have a look at my molars ... cost me A$50.00. That was real bargain. What? Did I say bargain? I was plainly sarcastic of course!

So back to the Teaching Hospital of the University of Sydney, called Westmead, I felt great being there yesterday. I was being served by a young, nice, polite, friendly and handsome Dental Intern named Stephen.

I was touched by Stephen's predecessor's note she passed on to him before she graduated that I was her favourite patient. She told him to please look after me. How very kind of Sandhya to tell Stephen that..

Stephen vowed that he would indeed take care of me. He even promised that in two months time, with my cooperation permitting, I would be well and new and be able to smile again. Before I left the hospital, he even gave me a couple of dental supply that I can use at home. Such a generous spirit.

Good rapport works wonder no matter what cultural medium you are embedded with. Genuine care and respect for one another can surely go a long way.

Am really looking forward to my next dental visit.