November 7, 2010

Interesting To Watch

[A repost from an old blog from My Heart with a Good Theme]

As usual, I got up early. I made some soft pancakes, spread butter on them, topped with caramelized apples, and finally rolled them. I also made the biggest pancake ever, perfectly the size of the pancake pan. All for my new mother, who lives next door.

Her name is Mona and she is 95 years old. She is still mobile living on her own though from time to time she needs a hand. Mommy, as I call her, is my adopted mother. Boy, how gregarious this grand lady is. She is survived by her three daughters. Her husband and two handsome sons died of cancers.

The first time I moved into my new beautiful home, Mommy was there right away giving me food to eat. Perhaps, seeing that I was very busy unloading boxes that seemed an eternal job the whole day through, I honestly did not have time to shop for food. And I was feeling very famished.

I am very happy in my new place I can call my own. For I thought, I would be sharing accommodation with another lady in another place. But the blessing came suddenly, so I grabbed the offer the minute I set my eyes of the surrounding.

The place where I am now is kind of a retirement village. As if the people living there have their own country, their own city to live. It looks very comely in a beautifully landscaped-garden wafting with floral scents around the vicinity.

It has its own facility for social gathering or a party. And this lunch time was my very first time to meet most of the residents. A particular church group organized a special lunch for them and Mommy asked me to come along with her. I didn’t want to go because I was not invited but the church lady said I was most welcome to join them.

I obliged and sat there smiling all along as I watched them all. Then I asked permission if I could take them photos. They were all very pleased to be taken.

Our village is predominated by females and only few old men around. They are all very good people, friendly and helpful. One resident told me that I don’t belong here. I guessed the reason of course, but I just shrugged his comment off because he did not know that I am as old as some of them.

Not really, they told me. I am the second youngest resident so they said after comparing numbers of age. Mommy is the oldest amongst us all. Still a busy body in her 95’s but the most kind and generous living saint I have ever known next to the late Mother Theresa.

I am glad that my cats, Halle and Sunny, are allowed in the area. They both enjoy our new place with climbing, jumping, leaping, prancing, running, and walking as they busy themselves catching flying objects in the garden.

Yes, the most beautiful thing here is the garden. Now I can even do better with myself planting vegetables in the rear part which is lined with good fence. Over the fence, in not too far distance, is the railway line. Meaning, we are very close to the convenience of transport: cab, train and bus.

In the beginning, Halle, the cat, was scared each time he heard the passing train within an interval of fifteen minutes. I have to reassure her that it is only a train passing wind. This time, she is now getting accustomed to the noise. She used to hide in my wardrobe to seek comfort from the deafening noise of the passing train.

How I love my new life now. Everyday is Thanksgiving Day for me for having this most beautiful home I would never dream of living.

Copyright@2007 Leah Dancel, All Rights Reserved
Dated: 7 December 2007